[Updated] Sorry to be arrogant and simple minded but I always think jQuery rocks and try to inspire as many people as possible to use or move to jQuery because of one simple reason: the more users and developers use jQuery the better it is and the more plugins will be created.
[Updated] jQuery 1.3 is out and it is super fast ! Read more
I have once used Mootools for one of my projects and it turned out to be running well. The performance was fast and I had no problem implementing its animation effects and plugins. However, I found several complaints about mootools on the Internet that will affect my choice of JS library in the future.
- Mootools does not have any well organized or responsive forum.
- It does not even have all of the many useful threads that were written for 1.1 available. What it does have – a Google group – is so undermonitered that John Resig’s profile shows up on the home page (now what does that say about JQuery responsiveness)! I have never, never! gotten a response to any of the requests I have made on the Google group page, despite my not being a noob.
- No plugins are available unless you already know where to find them, or you write them yourselves. As oppossed to J which makes it easy to get plugins. Yes I know they posted something on the blog.
- SVN was dumped for GIT. Maybe not bad from a technical standpoint, but I don’t know how to use GIT, and am not about to start learning.
- I rarely see the core developers on IRC, probably because we have different hours. But it is very difficult to get answers there, and thread is downright insulting to noobs – no matter how much he wants to learn. Worse though, the channel is not be stored. All of the questions and answers that are served are only to individuals – they cannot be accessed by someone who is searching for an answer. And lets face it – IRC is not good for most users. Is it so hard to have a chat box on the screen that allows for normal people to communicate, or at least to be able to see the thread?! I know a good framework that can be used to write such a tool!